Brother Umar Lee has written a series of articles in his blog about the rise and fall of a vibrant American Dawah movement. Umar was an active participant in it and he tells about it as he saw it in this 10 post series which he has titled, “The rise and fall of the ‘Salafi dawah’ in the US.”
I felt very depressed after reading this series. Some of the things that took place in this movement made me shudder. I can quite well understand if certain things happen in say places like Africa or rural Pakistan but it’s shocking to hear it happened in a small Muslim community in this age in a country like USA!
- Part One: The Beginning
- Part Two: The Competition for Converts
- Part Three: The Brotherhood
- Part Four: E.O. and its satellites
- Part Five: Northern Virginia/DC area
- Part Six: The Decline
- Part Seven: Boycotting and Excommunication
- Part Eight: Social Breakdown
- Part Nine: Post 9/11
- Part Ten: Final Thoughts…
After reading this have a look at Tariq Nelson’s article – Recovering from the “movement mentality”.